Most of us were merely assigned to manage people after a certain years of working experience, and largely as an extra workload beyond our daily chores. Without a clear comprehension of the basic rational and its prime priority in efficient management, what we usually did was to copy our precedents. In the long run, we got lost in the forest, paying less and less attention to “productive” human resource management, the key differentiator in modern knowledge economy.
The lecture and the assigned readings, especially Peter Drucker’s “Managing Oneself” and Marcus’ book all gave me quite an impact to what has been deeply planted subconsciously in my brain. How to find and excel with your own talents, to avoid your weakness with persistent awareness, to develop your own individualized learning models, and to clearly define your own value and role in a team and even your life are crucial yet overlooked. The further clarification of the difference among skills, knowledge and talents in Marcus’ book also reshapes my previous ideas, and the highlighted concept of focusing on the talents instead of the weakness of the workers is revolutionary to me. I am also convinced that to view talents as an asset, to manage, to acquire, to utilize, to dispose them and to make biggest profit for the shareholders in the end is the key to thrive in the fast-changing modern knowledge economy.
I once read an article saying that the big layoffs of the corporations during the recession is a great opportunity to refine their human resource strategies. However, I think most companies do this “at effect” rather than “at cause”, focusing simply on cutting off the payrolls and cost, instead of restructuring the work force simultaneously. That is a pity, and I am sure the re-inspection of the strategies of human management is of prime importance to all line managers on a regular basis instead of being easy rescues on major crisis.
The lecture and the assigned readings, especially Peter Drucker’s “Managing Oneself” and Marcus’ book all gave me quite an impact to what has been deeply planted subconsciously in my brain. How to find and excel with your own talents, to avoid your weakness with persistent awareness, to develop your own individualized learning models, and to clearly define your own value and role in a team and even your life are crucial yet overlooked. The further clarification of the difference among skills, knowledge and talents in Marcus’ book also reshapes my previous ideas, and the highlighted concept of focusing on the talents instead of the weakness of the workers is revolutionary to me. I am also convinced that to view talents as an asset, to manage, to acquire, to utilize, to dispose them and to make biggest profit for the shareholders in the end is the key to thrive in the fast-changing modern knowledge economy.
I once read an article saying that the big layoffs of the corporations during the recession is a great opportunity to refine their human resource strategies. However, I think most companies do this “at effect” rather than “at cause”, focusing simply on cutting off the payrolls and cost, instead of restructuring the work force simultaneously. That is a pity, and I am sure the re-inspection of the strategies of human management is of prime importance to all line managers on a regular basis instead of being easy rescues on major crisis.
Nowadays, during the recession, many stockholders and fund brokers doubt the over-valuation of the people asset and stock prices. I have no idea on how to put this into an equation, but I think the free market mechanism will settle this issue. What we should do is keeping our focus on a more robust management, which surely will regain their trust and surely, their money.
No comments:
Post a Comment